Attach gdb to program?

Heyho!

Given a Debian package (kmail, in this case, with installed kdepim-dbg
package) and an extracted source package: how do I properly start gdb (or
ddd or ...) so that it finds both the debugging symbols and the source code?

Just gdb -p <pid> /usr/bin/kmail doesn't work :-(

(I've only ever used gdb on locally compiled simple projects, I've never
worked with the separate symbol files as delivered in -dbg packages.)

thanks in advance
-- vbi

--
Wer sich an eine falsche Vorstellung gewöhnt, dem wird jeder
Irrtum willkommen sein.