Re: Links to kde debian stable are 404s

On Thursday 25 March 2010 03.56:02 Matthew Tedder wrote:
> I really wish I could find a distro with kde 4.x that can establish
> wireless connections..  KNetworkManager doesn't work on either of my
> computers no matter how I try to use it.

Works for me on one laptop, doesn't on the other, and I can't find the
difference.  So it seems to be very fragile indeed.

One thing that has helped is editing the nm related files in
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/ and duplicating the sections marked with
at_console="true" with group="netdev" instead of the at_console stuff (and
making sure that your user actually is in group netdev).  Only restarting nm
hasn't helped, it took a reboot for this to work.

And: with nm your /etc/network/interfaces should only configure the "lo"
interface and not mention the real network interfaces at all.

> Others tell me they used wicd
> or something else but I cannot get any of those alternatives

(I'd have looked at alternatives, but I haven't found one that also did
PPTP, which is why I'm still using and struggling with nm)

> working
> because it takes too long to work through figuring out all their
> dependencies one by one and porting them over by USB disk..

Matthew, meet apt-zip.  apt-zip, meet Matthew.  It can automate this task.
(Disclaimer: haven't used it myself, I always could arrange for network
connections to be available for package installations.)

> I've been stuck forced to use gnome for quite a long while now waiting
> for kde 4.x to become usable... It's become very clear that there are a
> lot of kde refugees like me out there... really a lot of them.  I've
> been an avid kde user since version 1...  FVWM, prior to that starting
> with Slackware96. It's been the biggest tragedy in computer history, for
> me..

KDE 4 has been ok since 4.1, and completely usable for my purposes since 4.2
or 4.3.  I'd say 4.4 is looking quite ok, although Strigi/Nepomuk still
gobble way too much memory (my 1GB Atom netbook is not usable after a few
hours with nepomuk/strigi running.) All in all, it would be nice if the KDE
developers would remember that KDE is a platform and the real work is done
usinng applications on that platform.  Nobody spends all their day
playingaround with plasma widgets...  Ok, this gets waaaay OT...

cheers
-- vbi

--
Why on earth should we teach children
that they are not allowed to share the toys.