Re: Amarok, KMix: how to set sound volume for external audio adapter?

Am Mittwoch, 17. März 2010 schrieb Michael Schuerig:

Hi,

> I'm not blaming you, of course. To the contrary, thanks for pointing out
> how this thing works. Still, I can't help but notice that this widget
> is, to my mind, exemplary of what has gone wrong in KDE 4 -- a
> preference for coolness over solid functionality. As a programmer myself
> I can easily understand how this comes about, especially in projects
> that are done for fun, not money. As a user, however, I don't have to
> like this.

I agree that the volume widget is not quite obvious to find because it doesn't
really look like a volume knob. Neither does the icon inside look like a
loadspeaker to me. It looks more like a rotated waffle with a scoop of ice
scream. Once recognized it's easy to use though. And combining it with a mute
button is not a bad idea.

And to be fair, in all the announcements, the new toolbar is highlighted as
experimental and user feedback is sought:

"These include a new main toolbar and a rewritten and much simpler file
browser. These parts are brand new and based on user feedback, and they will
change and improve over the next few releases. The old slim toolbar is still
available should you prefer that, but we encourage you to try out the new
toolbar and tell us what you think."

Cheers,
Carsten (who always uses global shortcuts (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Up/Down) to control
the volume)