Re: Phonon and audio systems in general

Michael Schuerig wrote:
> On Saturday 13 March 2010, George Kiagiadakis wrote:

> [snipped]

>> Afaik there is only confusion... I am happy here with ALSA, which
>> works out of the box on linux systems. Others prefer pulseaudio, but
>> I only have heard bad comments about it, so I am not very willing to
>> try it.

> Thanks for the overview. Too bad about pulseaudio, I would have liked a
> way to make Skype fit in seamlessly.

Well, do give it a try. For me on KDE 4.3.4 pulse works very well. Auto
detection of devices has improved nicely over the past year or two.
SMPlayer, Virtualbox, Skype are all functional.

# aptitude install pavucontrol pavumeter paman padevchooser paprefs \
pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils pulseaudio-module-gconf \
pulseaudio-module-hal pulseaudio-module-x11 libasound2-plugins \
gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat alsaplayer-alsa

will install it for you and pull the necessary dependencies.

/etc/asoundrc or ~/.asoundrc

can be filled like this:

pcm.!default {
  type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
  type pulse
}

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup answers most questions that
may arise. ALSA output from apps gets integrated into pulseaudio which
in turn can output to ALSA devices.

Greetings
Andreas

PS this is for a Squeeze install