akonadi - google plugins question for 4.4.x packages

 Howdi,

 I spent a few hours this afternoon fighting with akonadi,
 eventually just shifting it across to my basic mysql instance
 (if anyone wants to do this - avoid all the 'edit the ...' file
 tutorials on the net, and do it via the very simple menu'd
 K | Applications | Utilities | Akonaditray applet - you'll still
 need to set up your DB manually, but it gives you the code
 snippet to do that too.  Noice!)

 Anyhoo - my question.

 I discovered what is possibly going to be one of the more
 compelling reasons for all this akonadi pain - the ability
 to sync easily with google calendar (etc) resources.

 There's a nice blog / tutorial here:
  http://blog.trumpton.org.uk/2010/02/kontact-gmail-sync-with-akonadi.html

 So the question is a two-parter -
 1.  Is it relatively easy / painless / won't break new packages
      if I go and hunt down how to get these extra things into
      the pre-experimental 4.4 system I'm running, and/or
 2.  Are they likely to be in subsequent 4.4.x packages?

 taa,
 Jedd.