Re: PolicyKit Authorization (System Settings) crashes every time

Hi,

Peter Dahlberg a écrit :
> I would use checkinstall (checkinstall make install). It creates a .deb and
> installs it. Later you can remove it cleanly with dpkg.

Please don't give such pieces of advice without a little bit more
explanations.

Checkinstall is not a debian developper. It does not know much about the
debian policies and even less about possible filepath/packages/...
possible conflicts/dependencies. It is basically nothing more than a
wrapper around make install so that you can "make [un]install" by just
calling dpkg instead of calling make "by hand".

I remember having helped a guy on the kdepim-users list for half a day
one or two years ago. The guy had completely borked his system by
repeatedly using checkinstall.

Frankly, except in giving its users a false sense of security, I don't
thinck checkinstall has any utility. A manual install in /usr/local or
whichever safe place you want is a far better solution.

HTH

pp