Re: Desktop search: should background processes be (io)niced?

Am Montag 08 März 2010 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> I'm trying to take advantage of the newly usable desktop search feature
> and have selected several GBs of documents for indexing. The drawback
> is that the various processes associated with this task --
> nepomukservices, virtuoso-t -- chew heavily on the CPU and slurp away
> I/O bandwidth.
>
> I noticed one nepomukservices process that is running at nice level 19,
> all other related processes apparently have nice level 0. I don't know
> if there is any ionice-ing done at all. Shouldn't all these processes
> be running in such a way as to yield CPU and I/O bandwidth to other
> processes?

You can look for yourself with iotop. I think I saw some ionicing for
nepomuk processes. I disabled Nepomuk Strigi indexing for now cause it
crashes inside mail dir (see my mail "nepomukservices processes seems to
crash on certain director" on this list.