Re: Nervous about aptitude's desire to smurf my system

 Hi Modestas,

 I went ahead and did the upgrade this afternoon, which was
 actually quite straightforward.  I've got one problem with akonadi,
 which I'll post to a new thread in a minute.  It might also be related
 to my activities (or laziness, if you prefer :) in the past.

On Sunday 07 March 2010 18:00:03 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Let's see. You didn't bother to keep your system clean in the past so now you
> face these "autoremovals". All these packages have been pulled by something
> else in the past which you have already removed. But those leaf dependencies
> still remain.

 I'll cop to most of those - certainly the libs and various other
 'pull-ins' - but some of those apps were definitely installed
 directly and intentionally.  Obvious example from the end of the
 list was umbrello.  I subsequent installed it again, and it's all
 good - so it was just an oddity in the upgrade.

 Could it be related to the fact I usually use apt-get rather
 than aptitude?

> # aptitude markauto ~slibs

 Thank you for this hint.  Now done.  Hopefully I don't really
 need all those plasma-scriptengines that just got removed.

> The win is that you will free 300 mb of crap. Just do it
> once and you will never need to care about it again.

 300MB really doesn't worry me that much, but your
 point is well taken.

 thanks,
 Jedd.