squeeze, kde4 and plasma-desktop

dear debian-kde list,

i just dist-upgraded from etch to squeeze (for some reason) and kde4 is
now broken. there is a bug already reported here:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=556468 which seems to
match what i've got.

with all this, kde seems to still be "usable", meaning i can open a
konsole and launch icecat/weasel, mplayer etc etc..  even the "switch
window wow" effects work.. I installed kde-minimal btw.

so my question is, is there a way to not have to use plasma ?  i think
plasma is that thing that makes the desktop all weird and bloated, that
could be nice as an option but is it normal that kde4 depends on it for
basic usage ?

thanks for any thoughts and such.

manu