Re: KMail: heavy disk reading for a long time.

On Wednesday 07 July 2010, Luis Felipe Tabera wrote:
> On Tuesday July 6 2010, Michael Schuerig <michael@schuerig.de> wrote:
> > I'm looking astonished at iotop right now. KMail (1.13.3, KDE
> > 4.4.4) reads from the disk on the order of 8 to 12 MByte/s. There
> > is nothing obvious it ought to do. Nothing at all related to any
> > user action. I've even set it to "Work Offline".
> >
> > Looking at things with strace, apparently KMail is very busily
> > reading my mail folders (MBOX and cached IMAP). After about 90
> > minutes of frantic activity, it has stopped. Not finally,
> > unfortunately. The activity commences when I restart KMail.
> >
> > Can anyone give me a hint what is happening? Is this supposed to
> > enhance my user experience in some way?
>
> If you have saved searches this can be one reason. Delete the search
> folders and try again.

Searches appear to have been the cause indeed. But, here's the kicker,
no searches were listed under "Searches" in the folder list. I had
looked there before, because I suspected searches.

There was a "Last Search" file in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/search and I
had to delete that in order to stop KMail's misbehavior.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de