Re: KOffice 2.2.0 available for general consumption

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:

> KOffice 2.2.0 is available for amd64 & i386 from the semi-official repository
> at: http://qt-kde.debian.net/
>
> It is still to be decided if KOffice 2.2.0 will make it into Squeeze, I am
> currently inclined to do so. However, it is not yet fully decided and I would
> love some well argumented feedback. Take into consideration some apps are more
> mature than others.

Out of curiosity, I installed koffice on a spare Virtualbox VM
(Debian/sid - sidux). The VM itself is kept updated.

Both kword and kspread crashed (repeatedly & deterministically) when
trying to open new blank document! Karbon, Krita, Kpresenter at least
opened a blank document.

> In the case of crashes, install the package koffice-dbg to get a backtrace.
> Read more at:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/How_to_create_useful_crash_reportss

As I said, it was just out of curiosity. So, apologies! I do not use
koffice and I don't see myself using it in foreseeable future. In
fact, I don't see myself running squeeze either! So, I'll refrain from
this :(

Even if it gets included, I just hope there is a disclaimer, very
easily visible to the end user [*,**], that kword, kspread (and may be
kpresenter) are at best pre-alpha quality softwares! I understand that
a lot of work has gone into krita (and karbon) so it is worth
including koffice just for these.

--
Regards
Kap4Lin

[*] not the README in deb!
[**] I wonder how many "end-users" actually use koffice? It almost
seems like a parallel universe.