Feasibility of private/unofficial KDE 3.5 packages

Hello.

First of all, I want to state crystal clear the following:

* I don't want anybody to change his or her mind about the 3.5 vs 4.x
situation. Politely talking about it might be interesting or useful, though,
but probably many members of the list might not want the discussion here.
* Of course I don't want anybody to do any kind of work if he or she is not
interested or motivated to do it.
* I'm not stepping up to do any kind of work either, but I will gladly share
my experiences if I have some success.
* I don't think that 3.5 is a long term solution, even if you just want to
provide basic support (or none at all) and no new features.
* However, I do think that it might be convenient to have around some 3.5
applications side by side with the 4.x ones for a while, the same way that one
might have non-KDE applications.

That said, I would like to ask some questions about how feasible would be to
tweak at least some of the KDE 3.5 packaging to not clash with official 4.4
packages. Ana mentioned this possibility, and I think I can give it a chance.

First, if I understood correctly, Qt3 and kdelibs 3.5 will still be around for
some time. Am I right? I still see them on unstable, and I suppose they will
be on the archive unless all remaining KDE 3 packages are removed.

Second, I know that compiling KDE 3.5 setting /opt as a prefix is not an
option for official packages, but is it a good idea for private packages? I'm
used to compile development versions in a different prefix, and is quite easy
and safe, but I have to do manual setup each time I want to run them.

And what about adding a suffix to the 3.5 applications? I suppose this will be
more work, but also feels like the proper way to do it.

Finally, how realistic do you think is all of this? I don't have the skills
(nor the time to acquire them) to even think about "infrastructure" stuff
(desktop, kdm, libraries), but I have some rusty knowledge of packaging KDE
applications, and luckily for me, it's just 2 or 3 of the old ones that I
need.

Thanks in advance for the replies, and special thanks, as always, for the huge
work that the developers do on the KDE packages. I know it's a very difficult
task, and one that requires lots of time. Thank you very much, truly.

Regards.

PS: I can move the conversation to pkg-kde-talk if you want. I'm subscribed
there too.
--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2