Re: Howto get kwooty build for debian?

Heyho!

On Sunday 04 April 2010 16.52:01 Magnus Pedersen wrote:

> What is the proper way to wish for a program (kwooty) to be included in
> debian?
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/kwooty/

There is no official way for it to get included, but there are several ways
to work on it.

The easiest you have already done :-)

The next bigger thing ;-) is file a "Request for Packaging" in our bug
tracking system.  http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/howto/RFP.html talks
about how to file an RFP (although it speaks about perl modules
specifically, most of it does also apply for other programs.  Just ignore
the per specific bits.)

The problem with emails to lists and "RFP" bugs: it's absolutely not
guaranteed that somebody will be interested to work on it.

Much better than the above, and certain to be successful: learn to do the
packaging yourself.  If you can compile the program and are willing to learn
a bit, this is not very difficult to do, and there are many people who will
be ready to help.  (As somebody said recently on some Debian mailing list:
we don't bit ... much.  My observation: when we -- Debian Developers --
bite, we usually bite one another and not newcomers.)

If you're intersted: here's some places to get started:
 -> http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
 -> The #debian and #debian-devel IRC channels on irc.debian.org
 -> The debian-mentors@lists.debian.org mailing list.
 -> stuff linked from http://www.debian.org/devel/

The very technical documentation, probably not for beginners:
 -> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
 -> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/

NOTE: it is absolutely not necessary for you to become an official Debian
Developer or Maintainer if you just want to create this one package, but
obviously you're very welcome to do so (even if you only want to maintain
this one package.)

And obviously, you could always pay somebody to create the package ;-)

cheers
-- vbi

--
Kallisti!