using amarok 2.2 with alsa on kde 4 w/ digital soundcard and other apps using it at the same time

I was just wondering, I notice that some of pre-kde4 apps like kaffeine can play audio through ALSA, which means that multiple apps can share my sound card (the sound goes simultaneously through digital and analog outputs which I also like).

However, when amarok uses the KDE4 system directly, it takes exclusive control over the SPDIF sound output, and does not also send its output to the analog stereo output.

Is there a way to get KDE4 apps like amarok to go through alsa like the old KDE3 apps did? Then I think my sound apps would behave better with each other and I could send an analog signal to another room while listening to the digital one in mine.