Re: high CPU usage in certain apps

On Wednesday 25 November 2009 16:10:53 jedd wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> On Wednesday 25 November 2009 09:00:14 Marcus Better wrote:
> > for the past few days I'm experiencing weird CPU thrashing problems
> > in two KDE apps: Amarok and Knode. Thought I would check if
> > someone else is seeing this.
>
>  I don't run knode, but I do have amarok running most of the time.
>
>  I'm seeing xorg take up an entire core, even when amarok is
>  not playing anything.  This seems to be semi-random - at first
>  it appeared to happen after several hours, but I've seen it on
>  a re-start of kdm a few times now.
>
>  Are you seeing lots of file system activity while amarok or
>  knode is slowing you down?  lsof might reveal some extra info,
>  if you are.
>
>  Jedd.

There were certain plasmoids causing the Xorg problem. This has been fixed.
If Amarok is doing it, kill pulseaudio and see if that helps. The first time I
noticed runaway Xorg/Plasma-desktop CPU usage was playing with pulseaudio. The
actual culprits were some hal and dbus stuff but if I killed that, KDE would
not restart.