Re: KDE 4.2 in unstable _NOT YET__

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
> I rely on WLAssistant for my WiFi connection management.  I understand
> that it becomes obsolete under KDE4.  Is there a planned replacement or
> will I be forced to use Network Manager or some other scheme?
>
> - Nate >>

Hi Nate,
I've been using a combination of wpasupplicant roaming, and wpagui (qt
frontend) on debian/sidux

wpasupplicant is nice because it is a daemon that *just works* in or
out of X, with preconfigured networks.
Networks can be configured in X via the wpagui frontend, or out of X
via /etc/network/interfaces + wpa-roam.conf text files (Obviously this
is a worst case scenario when you have lost X and have no familiar
network around)

I combine this with a small reconfiguration of ifplugd to manage
hotplugging my ethernet so I get the following behaviour (in or out of
X):
Ethernet plugged in, wlan down
Unplug ethernet, wlan comes up and connects to any known/configured network
Replug ethernet, wlan brought down again
Ethernet uses dhcp 99% of the time as configured in standard debian
conf files (/etc/network/interfaces) but can be easily changed (once
again, in or out of X)

The beauty of this setup is it preserves the debian network stack
which provides excellent consistency and stability on an unstable
package base (sid/experimental), and there is no dependency on gui
management tools - they are merely an extra convenience.

I have no idea which other distros implement anything like this, so if
you're not using debian I'm afraid this may not be of any value :/

Regards,
Bernie