Re: KDE4.2 in experimental and kpackage

On Saturday 31 January 2009 13:04:21 Valerio Passini wrote:
> Alle sabato 31 gennaio 2009, Nick Shaforostoff ha scritto:
> > I'm afraid KPackage is maintained no more,
> > and I suggested removing it from kdeadmin upstream.
> >
> > What makes KPackage UI better then the one of Adept (or anything else) for
> > you?
>
> kpackage is the application I was behaved to when I wanted to get a list of packages
>  and a description of them.
apt-cache search <regexp>
I have it aliased to be 'as <regexp>' under root.
alias as='apt-cache search'

plus apt-cache show

> Another important reason why I liked kpackage was the ability to browse the installed packages and
> even the single files.
list packages: dpkg -l <globexp> | grep II
list files: dpkg -L <package>
also see apt-file.

> It was very handy to check for README's, configuration samples and so on. It
> was a matter of clicking on the file and having it displayed in konqueror, in kwrite or inside ark.
> That is why I consider it more useful than synaptic. Another feature that I liked is the ability of
> kpackage of displaying at a quick glance any missing file in a package.
there is a command line expression somewhere for that. googlable.

> Last but not least I have
> translated its documentation :) and I'm sorry to see kpackage disappearing.
Well, I'm translator myself. A lot of docs bevome obsote with KDE4.

> BTW if it's supposed to remove kpackage, I agree that I should use something different like adept (I
> tried it a long time ago and I didn't feel a good impression from it, but now things have changed
> for good). Anyhow adept is still missing the features I had mentioned above. I hope to have answered
> to your question.
Yes. thank you for the desired features list.