Re: [ANNOUNCE] KDE 4.2 finding its way to experimental (update)

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:26:35PM +0100, Ana Guerrero wrote:

> Hi,
>
> KDE 4.2 is being uploaded to experimental. This means experimental will be broken
> in the next days until full KDE 4.2 is there (mostly because some packages needs
> to go to NEW processing).  And you won't be able to install KDE 4.1 or KDE 4.2
> in a usable way.

It is almost complete now, it is still missing kdesdk that is sitting at NEW:
http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/kdesdk_4:4.2.0-1.html
kdeaccessibility and kdewebdev have not been updated yet, but they are not
popular so a lot of you have not even noticed.

If you use kate and/or kdesdk, and you try to upgrade now, it will tell you
remove it. Same if you installed using the kde4 metapackage.

Packages used with KDE but are not part of KDE (ktorrent, digikam, koffice...)
will be being updated in the next days.

If you want to stay in the very safe place, wait a bit more for updating.
If you only installed a few modules, and none of the mentioned above is
included, you won't have any problem (and surely you updated already =) )

I want to take advantage of this email to reminder something about bug
reporting: packaging bugs go to Debian BTS, software bugs go to KDE bugs (*).
If you do not know what kind of bug it is, or if it is even a bug, use this
mailing list. And remember than using a meaningfull Subject will help you to
get interested people reading your email.

Ana

(*) Yes, you can report software bugs in the Debian BTS, but you will only be
adding a layer of extra work to your packagers who will have to report then
to upstream. People reading the bug in the KDE bugzilla may have further
questions that packagers will have to forward back to you... and in the
beginning all you wanted was report an annoying bug you wanted to be fix
as soon as possible, right? :)