Adding emoticons to KDE4

How can I add my own emoticons to KDE4?

When trying to add an icon to the default emoticons theme (kde4), it fails
telling that /usr/share/emoticons/kde/ is unwritable, which is correct, only
root can do that.
When trying to start settingsmanager as root (kdesu systemsettings) it starts
the System Settings as root. But when you try to browse to the icon to add, it
tries to start the file-browser dialog, but I get consistently the error msg
"Could not start process Cannot talk to klauncher: The name org.kde.klauncher
was not provided by any .service files."
When trying to type the full path in the Name part of that dialog I get "The
specified folder does not exist or was not readable".

So I tried to do it another way (as normal user), creating my own theme, by
clicking "New Theme...". I then get a dialog screen asking me for the name and
after that for the type of emoticon them. I select "Kde Emoticons Theme",
press OK ... and then ... nothing.

I then edited (as root) the emoticons.xml file in the before mentioned location
and then it showed up in the emoticons list. But when I typed the shortcut I
assigned to it, I saw the shortcut, but not the image linked to it (it was a
gif file, while the rest were pngs if that's relevant).

So, what's the procedure to add your own emoticons to either an existing theme
or create your own theme?

Another related question: Will it send your custom emoticon to the person
you're chatting with (Kopete using MSN protocol)?
Or will they only see the shortcut text?

TIA