Panel woes and other peculiarities

I made the switch to KDE 4 today, and over all it went rather well. Most
of the annoyances are related to the panel. I may have been living under
a rock not to know about this stuff, but here it goes:

- I don't seem to be able to move widgets around, even though the panel
is unlocked. On the left, there's the KMenu and plugged-in devices. On
the far right I've managed to add a few application buttons,
logout/lock, and trash. Over most of the space in the middle, the system
tray stretches out.

- Where do the panels get their colors from? I didn't react to changes
in the Appearance > Colors settings and stayed glossy black. When the
panel crashed later, it reappeared in marine blue.

- Is the digital clock really so dumb as to display the date in a second
column instead of underneath the time?

Other oddities I noticed:

- Resizing Konsole windows lags by several seconds. This doesn't happen
for other apps.

- I can't bind Win-Shift-+ (aka Win-* on a german keyboard) to Maximize
Vertically.

- Akregator crashes when started with my original archive, and does so,
too, after only importing the feeds.opml. I'll try to partition the
feeds into smaller chunks. ~500 might be too much.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de