Re: Lancelot locks accessing NTFS partition

On Thursday 09 April 2009 04:23:41 you wrote:
>On Thursday 09 April 2009 11:14:26 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> >Are you aware about how many Debian packagers has the Qt/KDE team? Do you
>> >imagine how many time is needed to handle this? And not only the KDE
>> > people, but other teams as well.
>>
>> If Debian can't shoulder the burden of maintaining KDE, they shouldn't be
>> packaging it.  Debian maintainers should be ready to receive bug reports
>> from Debian users.  I should not have to run another distribution or
>> compile KDE from source before I file a bug.
>
>Boyd,
>
>You are going to start seeing a lot more messages like this one when you
> file a bug with a Debian package. I am the Debian maintainer for the hplip
> package:
>
>! For end user support please "Ask a question" at the
>! upstream hplip support site:
>!   https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+addquestion
>!
>! If you know that the bug you want to report is in the "upstream"
>! code then please file report in the upstream hplip bug tracking system:
>!   https://launchpad.net/hplip/+filebug
>!
>! If you feel that the bug is one that other Debian users should
>! know about then you are welcome to file a report in the Debian BTS
>! as well.  Please keep in mind, however, that managing bug reports
>! is part of the maintainers' workload.

I find that unfortunate, but clearly acceptable.

BTW, for "end user support" you are welcome to point then at debian-user etc.
We try and handle what questions we can.

>You don't need to run a different distribution to report a bug upstream.
>Upstream will happily take reports from any users and will respond to your
>issues.

How am I supposed to determine if it is non-Debian-specific without running a
different distribution or compiling from source?  If it's Debian-specific, I'm
wasting upstreams time.  If it's not, it's still a bug in Debian.

Actually, for hard crashes, if I can get a backtrace I know how to figure out
if that line of code came from upstream or a Debian patch.  I'm not sure the
best way to do that for other bugs, but I'll try.

>Users don't need a 'bug-day' to forward bugs upstream.  Anyone can do that
> at any time and at any stage of the project.

Last time I tagged a bug without emailing the maintainer and waiting for a
reply, I got a stern response from a different DD basically saying "don't do
that".

But, I'll take this a permission to wrangle a few KDE bugs.

Also, "Bug Day"s can help because they get multiple users together with the
maintainer(s) and developer(s) so the overlapping fields of knowledge can all
be used at once.  They also let interested wranglers single-task on bugs for
at least a few hours; studies show virtually everyone is more productive when
single-tasking than multi-tasking.

Still, you don't have to be a maintainer to organize a "Bug Day" as long as
you can get one or two to participate.  So, the onus is on myself to organize
one if I think one would be useful.

> I hope you are contributing
> with every post you are making here to debian-kde and also forwarding a bug
> upstream.  Takes me about 3-6 minutes per bug. Because that is what Debian
> is about.  Lots of people, like you, doing a little bit of work when they
> have some spare time.
>
>So with your next spare 3 minutes, look at the BTS, check if a bug is still
>relevant, forward it upstream, and mark it as forwarded in the BTS.

Will do.