Re: KDE4.2 in experimental and kpackage

Alle sabato 31 gennaio 2009, Nick Shaforostoff ha scritto:
> I'm afraid KPackage is maintained no more,
> and I suggested removing it from kdeadmin upstream.
>
> What makes KPackage UI better then the one of Adept (or anything else) for
> you?

kpackage is the application I was behaved to when I wanted to get a list of packages
 and a description of them. Synaptic is good and very similar but it's just for GNOME and it
prevents the use of apt in console. Many times before I checked a package that I was interested to
just using kpackage and then installing it just with apt-get at the same moment. Indeed I use apt
more often than any other else package manager, but with a little help from kpackage when it was
needed.
Another important reason why I liked kpackage was the ability to browse the installed packages and
even the single files. It was very handy to check for README's, configuration samples and so on. It
was a matter of clicking on the file and having it displayed in konqueror, in kwrite or inside ark.
That is why I consider it more useful than synaptic. Another feature that I liked is the ability of
kpackage of displaying at a quick glance any missing file in a package. Last but not least I have
translated its documentation :) and I'm sorry to see kpackage disappearing.
BTW if it's supposed to remove kpackage, I agree that I should use something different like adept (I
tried it a long time ago and I didn't feel a good impression from it, but now things have changed
for good). Anyhow adept is still missing the features I had mentioned above. I hope to have answered
to your question. Bye

Valerio