RE: KPackage in KDE4

> A friend tell me that it's better to use name as: testing, unstable, ...
> because in this way I can't take care with the new name of the new
> Debian.release

Your friend is generally correct.  Certainly about using "lenny" or
"testing", go ahead and use "testing" if you intend to stick with
Testing, or "lenny" if you intend to be "stable" after lenny becomes
stable.  With sid, I think that "sid" is probably a better choice than
"unstable", but you may use whatever works best for you.

> >  apt-get install kde4    or    aptitude install kde4    ?????
> >
> Well, to make it work first of all  I need to install form ustable branch
> the package smart-core or something like this.
> After that I set the backport for KDE4 in my sourcelist
> deb http://kde4.debian.net/ lenny main
> If I don't worng, lenny = testing, so I can use this backport.

This is pretty much correct, although some repositories may not be
adhering to the new rules of using "testing", "stable", and "unstable"
yet.  kde.debian.net may be one of them;  if so, you will need to go
ahead and use "lenny".

> With all of this, I set:
>               aptitude install kde4
> Maybe I need to make in another way, I followed this manual
> http://kde4.debian.net/  and, well I now have installed KDE4 a little bit
> unstable :(

If you are using the KDE4 backport, then I expect that most or all of
the dependencies are backported, too.  In that case, you do not have to
add "sid" or "unstable" to the sources.list.  The "lenny" backport
repository  should be enough.  However, individual packages that you are
accustomed to using may not be backported, yet, so you only choice would
be to get them from sid or experimental.  I don't recommend this.  You
should wait until there is a backport available, or learn to use
something else.  Another possibility is to use the KDE4 from
experimental instead of the one from backports.  That *will* require
some packages from sid.  KDE4 from backports was version 4.1, the last
time I checked.  The experimental KDE4 is version 4.2.  4.2 is really
what you want, but you would have to learn to cope with sid and
experimental, and as a new user, I don't recommend that.

> Don't try Adept right now.  Use Aptitude in a terminal window.  Do
> not use the command-line interface, use the ncurses interface (type
> "aptitude" [no quotes] by itself on the command line.  To make it
> do work, you will have to be root, or let it become root.  (Just open
> a root terminal when you open a terminal.)
> I know aptitude but I prefer something like adpet, but if currently there is
> not alternative I'll use aptitude
> If you have all of GTK, etc. installed, you can try Synaptic.  It will
> run under KDE4, as long as your glib, and gtk/gnome libraries are in
> good shape.

> OK I'll try, but I read on Internet that Synaptic is not stable in KDE4, is
> that real?

I wasn't aware of that, it may be true.  It runs under KDE3, but we are
not disccussing 3.

> If a few icons are missing, you may need to install an icon theme
> package.  Since KDE4 is still farm fresh, there may be a few items
> like that that aren't all there.

> It is some strange that the icons of the toolbar of KPackage are not complet
> in the system ???
> I sopouse I need a icon them package but, how can I find what is it?

If I understand correctly, KDE 4.1 was never intended for production
use.  The backports version may simply be be missing some icons.  If
this is the case, file a bug report against it.  (But not before
double-checking and asking around, first.  Also see if the issue has
already been reported, and if there is a fix or workaround.)  If you
need to, you can add the icon yourself.  This may be a bit more work
than you want to do.  Be patient, and there will be an official Debian
KDE4 in testing, soon enough.

Mark Allums