Re: KLaptop is back !!!

  Hello Eric, All:

El Sábado 11 Octubre 2008, Eric Doviak escribió:
> JOY !!! Oh, joy! I just noticed that I don't have to recompile my kernel to
> use KLaptop on Debian Lenny!

  Glad to hear that. I still think that Debian is about choosing, and being
able to choose is good. You made yours and it's ok, but I'd like to clarify
why kpowersave was chosen and to comment out your e-mail.

> Check out the following lines in  /boot/config-2.6.26-1-686
>
> CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS_POWER=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_SYSFS_POWER=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT=y
>
> KLaptop works with the latest stock Debian kernel! And it works a heck of a
> lot better than KPowersave!

  Indeed that was the problem, mind that some options there are deprecated and
that was why klaptopdaemon was deprecated too.

  I'm not so clear that kpowersave is not better that klaptopdaemon.

> "So long KPowersave! I never liked the way you made me restart my wireless
> drivers upon resume from hibernation! Our relationship is over! I'm getting
> back with my old girl, KLaptop. She treats me much better than you ever
> did!"

  Klaptopdaemon is totally unmaintained upstream, that means that no further
development is going to happen on it. This is similar to what happens on
KDE3, on KDE3 it's not as bad. No one has been taking care about
klaptopdaemon and there are even some working patches on KDE bugzilla who are
not applied for this reason.

  klaptopdaemon uses deprecated methods for most things, like hibernating,
suspending to ram or even checking your battery status. Deprecated doesn't
mean that it doesn't work, just that it is not the advisable method. This is
becuase they could be removed at any time or for example that hibernating may
broke because something changes slightly.

  On the contrary, kpowersave is still maintained and it relies on hal to
interact with hardware, which in turns is also activelly developed. This is
considered to be a "good thing". Again this doesn't mean that everything
works, but if it doesn't work or you need to change anything you may raise a
bug report in the right place and expect it corrected.

  Regarding your suspend/hibernate problem, I have the impression that it was
possibly a hal issue. kpowersave just calls hibernate/suspend functions on
hal, which may not be as advanced as hibernate scripts which are usually
called by klaptopdaemon. Maybe you need to configure hal to do better, but I
would agree that being as you explain it was a bug and should be reported (on
either kpowersave or hal) and eventually solved.

[...]
> To start KLaptop, run (as normal user):
>
> $ klaptop_check

  Or alternatively go to kcontrol->power and there enable the tray icon.

> Enjoy!!!
> - Eric

  HTH, regards,

--