Re: Getting KDE4 working

>>As previously posted, trying to start kde4 yields a bunch of crashes,
>>kcminit, plasma, etc., repeated knotify4 crashes.

>>I had a session running once by sudo /usr/bin/startkde, but the results were
>>destructive--took some doing to get kde3.5 running after this.

>>For what might the kde4 startup sequence need root privileges and for what
>>must it NOT be run with them?

>>I noticed that in the kde3.5, there is a start_kdeinit which has the suid
bit
>>set! There is no such thing in the kde4. Setting that bit in kde4's kdeinit4
>>stuff started the session without crashes but nothing after the splash came
>>up, just a blank screen.

>>I retried from an xterm and got warning that kde libraries are NOT designed
>>to be run with suid set! Various other and sundry error messages and the
>>startup was aborted.

>>I had to make the same "repairs" as before to restart kde3.5.

>Lo, and behold!

>My daughter somehow chose a KDE4 session. Not one crash, not one!
>The session came up. She ended up with two (count em) taskbars, one for
>kicker
>and one for kickoff (or whatever the thing is called). She got two sets of
>desktop icons, one for kdesktop and one with those oversized icons for
>plasma.

>If she wants to continue with KDE4, I suppose I bring up a terminal and kill
>kicker and kdesktop so they should not restart the next time. Good question:
>Will plasma try to start the next time she logs in to KDE3.5. I am afraid to
>try :-)

OK, I got rid of my .kde4 and started over and the thing came up. Why it
initially would not is a mystery.

Manually copied configs and stuff for kmail and konqueror, Addressbook paths,
etc using the new control-center system setup. Got all my options back. So
here is the scoop:

Desktop themes and such will not change until next session if then. Icons set
for applications show, device icons do not. Theme was not honored at all.

Sessions were not restored and exclusions (i.e. kicker and kdesktop) were not
honored.

Caveat: I have my /opt/kde3.5/bin on the path to enable the older apps. This
is in the lead position, otherwise kde3.5 will not behave as before. Kde4
would probably behave better if I moved this to the end position. Old apps
would still be on the path. In this case, kdesktop and kicker might not try
to come up.

So ... what should I do to solve this thing. She obviously started with a
fresh .kde4. I could do the same. I had one when I go the thing going with
sudo, somehow could to resuse it after resetting the permissions.

So... what next?