Getting KDE4 working

As previously posted, trying to start kde4 yields a bunch of crashes, kcminit,
plasma, etc., repeated knotify4 crashes.

I had a session running once by sudo /usr/bin/startkde, but the results were
destructive--took some doing to get kde3.5 running after this.

For what might the kde4 startup sequence need root privileges and for what
must it NOT be run with them?

I noticed that in the kde3.5, there is a start_kdeinit which has the suid bit
set! There is no such thing in the kde4. Setting that bit in kde4's kdeinit4
stuff started the session without crashes but nothing after the splash came
up, just a blank screen.

I retried from an xterm and got warning that kde libraries are NOT designed to
be run with suid set! Various other and sundry error messages and the startup
was aborted.

I had to make the same "repairs" as before to restart kde3.5.