Re: Display power control stops working

On Dec 23, 2007 10:43 PM, Edward C. Jones <edcjones@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have a PC with an AMD Athlon 64 +3500 chip. I have two hard drives
> with Debian on them. The 80G drive has "sarge", i386 port updated to
> unstable as recently as 12/15/07. The 160G drive has "etch", amd64 port,
> updated to current unstable (12/22/07).

I used to follow Sid on my home built AMD 64 3500+ with a GeForce 5200
LE nvidia card switching back and forth between the "nv" and "nvidia"
drivers. Anyway, I run Kubuntu these days. I just don't have time to
follow Sid on the desktop now!

> On both systems the KDE display power control stops working after a day
> or so (the screen no longer goes blank). If I restart X or modify the
> Power Control settings through the Control Center, the power control
> starts working again (but only for a day or so). The power control

> What is the problem?

I used to have the same exact problem, and as far as I can remember it
has persisted since a long time. From my experience this happened
whenever a video player (like, kmplayer, mplayer, kaffeine, ...) was
used in full screen mode. The only solution (apart from restarting X)
was to uncheck and check the "Enable power saving" box in Control
center > Peripherals > Monitors > Power Saving and then Apply. Pretty
annoying indeed.
Then I moved to Kubuntu and started using the kpowersave package.
Though very rare now, I do face this problem once a while.

I am not sure if this is an upstream KDE problem (does this happen on
any other distro?) or Debian specific!
--
Regards
PK