Re: kde services

On Friday 09 November 2007, Mario Daniel Carugno wrote:
> Hi there, i am experimenting on running kde apps out of kde desktop,
> in a simpler window manager like fluxbox. This could be interesting
> because kde apps gets better (since kdelibs gets better for developing
> apps), but kde desktop is getting heavier for me. Running kde apps
> from a lighter environment could be a solution for resource limited
> systems.

Hmm, you mean to only have KDE resource when KDE applications are running?
Otherwise I would assume that the resource consumption is pretty much the
same, i.e. because the necessary parts of KDE are running in both cases.

> I start kdeinit on the background, but some kde services are disabled
> when kde desktop is not running.
>
> Can i run the following kde-desktop services/features out of kde-desktop ?
>
> 1. Can i run the 'storage media' service (to get automatic actions on
> device events) ?

This should work with just kded running (should have been started by kdeinit)
since this is, as far as I know, handled by one of its plugins.

> 2. Can i execute kde's screensaver ?

I think they are normal executables, though I have no idea how they are
usually started, i.e. what triggers the screensaver.

> 3. Can i execute kde's 'Execute Command' dialog (Alt+F2) ?

Not without kdesktop, since this is one if KDesktop's facilities.

> 4. Can i have session manager ? I've tried running ksmserver but do not
> worked

If you really see an improvement in system resource usage [1] by not running
some of KDE's infrastructure, it might be easier to just not run them but
actually use a KDE session.

KDE is started by /usr/bin/startkde, which for example checks if the
environment variable KDEWM is set and if it is, uses this as the window
manager instead of KWin.

Removing/moving some of the entries in /usr/share/autostart, e.g.
kdesktop.desktop, panel.desktop together with using your simple window
manager migth result in the same effects, but keep you running a KDE session
otherwise, e.g. still having ksmserver.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1567