Re: KDE for Etch (updates on the website)

* Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> [2007 Nov 08 07:10 -0600]:

> Hi,
>
> After read the last thread I have added to the pkg-kde's website a brief
> howto about get KDE on Debian easily:
>
> http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/installkdedebian.html
>
> Suggestions/patches/english fixes are welcome.

That looks very good, Ana.  The only downside I see is that the page
may not be easy to find,  There is mention of the boot option in the
Installation Manual:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s03.html.en#di-install-software

which I, of course, don't bother to look at since I've been using
Debian for 8+ years.  :-)

However, having to perform the procedure on the page linked above
really makes it seem like KDE is a second class citizen (I don't want
to start or further a flame warm, it's just an observation).  For as
good as the Etch installer is, when it gets to the taskselect stage,
not having a choice of desktop-kde, desktop-gnome (default),
desktop-xfce, etc. seems like quite an oversight.

> We try to put all the information related to KDE on Debian there, but there is
> stuff we procrastinate to publish...

Thanks for the work the KDE team does.  I, for one, really appreciate
it.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of