Re: KDE for Etch

On Thursday 08 November 2007, Nate Duehr wrote:

> I think there's more than ten options for desktop managers.  Should it
> install them all?

Well, as far as I understand, somebody wanted to have a "desktop" choice in
the installer but not ask any further questions. If not asking any further
questions is really important, then yes, it should install them all.
No questions ask, nothing lost.

> I don't think it should install ANYTHING without asking the user what
> they want.

Exactly!

> > If this isn't fixed in one of the Etch updates, I recommend to file
> > bug
> > reports for the Debian installer when Lenny gets into feature freeze.
>
> Why wait?  Get it in the BTS now so someone has time to work on it, if
> you're passionate about it.

I am pretty sure the d-i maintainer knows about the bug.
Reporting it again is just a last resort in case he or she forgets about it
and Lenny's installer wouldnot be fixed either.
Usually grave bugs like this are fixed before anyway, DDs usually don't like
to wait for the last possible moment.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring