Re: KDE for Etch

* Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> [2007 Nov 07 15:25 -0600]:

> On Wednesday 07 November 2007, Thierry Chatelet was heard to say:
> > If it's a new install he could re-install going to expert with the
> > following: expert tasks="standard, kde-desktop"
> > he then will have an install with only KDE.
> > If he doesn't want to re-install he can run:
> > tasksel install kde-destop
> > Thierry
>
> It's too bad that the option to install KDE is so far back from the
> point of obvious choice, and that the only place I've seen
> the "expert tasks="standard, kde-desktop"" is in posts telling me,
> now Philip, what we should have done.

That was the only thing I groused about when Etch was released as I did
a couple of practice installations.  The consensus over on Debian-User
seemed to be that no real problem exists since a working (open to
interpretation, I guess) GUI was installed.  Installing KDE was easy
enough for me since I'm quite familiar with Aptitude.  Ridding the
system of GNOME to recover space was not so easily accomplished.

The argument went that *something* had to be the default and since
Debian had committed to GNOME years back, it was the default.  Others
cited "confusion" on the part of a newbie presented with a choice.
Yeah, right.  Newbie selects Debian out of a few hundred distros and
only *then* during installation is confused by a choice?  :-D

I guess the standard answer is to "file a bug report".

> Until tasksel has "desktop-Gnome" and "desktop-KDE" as separate
> options, I will be stuck with seeminglt endless dselect sessions.

Egad, I haven't touched dselect in *years*.  I use Aptitude in
interactive mode (which I gather a lot of other people don't do since I
see references to its commandline invocations).

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"