KDE 4 Live CD error on boot

Every time I try to boot the Live CD I get an error "H.V Frequency over range" and the monitor effectively shuts off to protect itself. this is the same on two different machines. They are both 17" Viewsonic monitors but a spare 15 inch old analogue comes up with the same error when substituted on either machine also.

Is there a boot command addition that can alter the live CD boot parameters to a particular video frequency or standard VGA mode setting that can be used to get it to boot up?

The default parameters are obviously to high for either of my machines.

Dennis