Digikam, Kooka: Scanning with Epson V200?

I've got an Epson Perfection V200 Photo scanner that works on unstable
with Kernel 2.6.22 using the Epson/Avasys GPL drivers[*]. I have
converted the iscan and iscan-plugin RPMs to DEB with alien and can use
the iscan contained therein to scan. Due to some file conflicts, I
don't have libsane-extras installed.

Here's the output from two commands that check for available scanners

$ sane-find-scanner
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x012e [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:005:008

$ scanimage -L
device `epkowa:libusb:005:008' is a Epson Perfection V200 flatbed
scanner

Looks fine and works.

Now, I'd like to scan from KDE apps, too, in particular Digikam and
Kooka, and that does not work, unfortunately. The Digikam scanner
plugin warns

Problem: No Scanner was found
Your system does not provide a SANE (...) installation, which is
required by the KDE scan support.

I can't make Kooka show a selection dialog for a scan device either.

I've even looked through the source code of libkscan, the KDE scanning
abstraction layer on top of SANE, but got lost in the SANE-related
details.

The V200 is my first scanner. I've tried to use another scanner once
before, but without success. Thus, it is entirely possible that my
system isn't configured properly for what libkscan expects, even though
iscan does work.

I appreciate your hints...

Michael

[*] http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_scan.html