Re: address bar placement in konqueror

On Sunday 25 March 2007 13:05:51 Christoph Burgmer wrote:
> I always wondered how I could place the address bar in the same row as the
> toolbar buttons. I started to believe it's impossible with konqueror (drag
> and drop wouldn't work), but suddenly it began placing the bar up there
> when I viewed pictures instead of html-pages.
> Now I saw this screenshot [1] which actually solves what I am trying. Any
> hints how to achieve that?

There's (at least) a couple ways to accomplish that.

One way is to shorten your main toolbar (remove icons from it) so that the
location toolbar doesn't "wrap" onto the next line.  This is possibly why
your location bar moves when viewing images, since (depending on your
embedded image viewer) the picture view may use less icons in the main
toolbar than the regular HTML view.

The other (more reliable) way to achieve this is to directly add the location
bar itself to the main toolbar.  To do this, you'll need to go to
the "Configure Toolbars" dialog and remove the "Location Bar" entry from the
Location Toolbar.  Then, you can select the Main Toolbar and add
the "Location Bar" entry there.  (Konqueror won't show the location bar in
the main toolbar if it's included in both places.)

As for the screenshot at Wikimedia Commons, that's Kubuntu's implementation of
Konqueror.  As I recall, Kubuntu uses that configuration of Konqueror as
default, though I don't know how exactly they've achieved it.

Hope this helps.

--
Jeffrey M. Smith <geek@jeffsmith.us>
Jabber: jeffsmith@jabber.org

Debian Hint #15: The documentation for a package can normally be found
under /usr/share/doc/<package>. In particular, the README.Debian file often
has useful information about Debian-specific quirks or tips.