Re: Remote KDE desktop?

On Friday 09 March 2007 20:37 +0100, maicon@fisica.ufsc.br wrote:
> Hi
>
> > I have KDE 3.5 (Debian ETCH) installed on the computer in my office. I
> > have installed Debian ETCH
> > KDE on a new computer in the server room next to my office.
>
> There is some options, but I think that the most easy and secury is log in
> the safe mode in our office, this is a simple X session. Them in the
> terminal you should open one ssh session with : ssh -X ip_from_you_server
>
> them you open kde with starkde

This will be bad if the local X server is already running KDE, because
startkde will again start panel, desktop, etc.

It really depends on the usage scenario:

- remote login: XDMCP has to be enabled on the "server" machine and the local
X server needs to be started to query the server machine

- remote desktop: when one also wants local login and just needs to work with
the "server" machine's desktop now and then. IMHO best accomplished through
NoMachine's NX technology (www.nomachine.com)

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring