Re: Etch: DBUS and powersave daemon message

On Thursday 17 May 2007, Curt Howland wrote:
> Hi.
> Each time I start KDE I get a message,
> "You are not permitted to connect to the powersave daemon via DBUS.
> Please check your DBUS configuration and installation."
> This happened with both the AMD64 and i386 installs. I have made no
> changes to the HAL, DBUS or any other subsystem.
> Google searches are turning up a lot of translations of the phrase,
> but no help. Can someone suggest a avenue of investigation?

Check if your user is member of the group "powerdev"

Or more generally:
Daemons with D-Bus interfaces on the D-Bus system bus can restrict who can
call which of those functions.
To tell the D-Bus daemon about this restrictions, they install a policy file
in /etc/dbus-1/system.d

In the example of powersave daemon, there is a file

At the end it details what "desktop users" are allowed to do and it specifies
that those users have to be in the group "powerdev"

KDE user support, developer mentoring