Re: Re: How can I sync. my USB drive with /home?

Hello Theo and everyone,

I'm curious is anything has been turned up that Theo was asking about
(he was wondering if there is a KDE-equivalent of "unison-gtk")?  I
find myself hankering for a tool like this as well, for a slightly
different but very common and useful purpose.  Let me illustrate with
this example:

I have a Windows box and a Linux box.  An SSH server is running on the
Linux box, and several folders on the Windows box are shared out which
I can read and write to from Konqueror (or dolphin), using an URI like
"smb://windows_box/some_share".  KDE kioslaves kick butt, I tell you.

Simple, graphical file copying is not a problem in either direction
between these 2 machines.  I can use Konqueror or Dolphin in Linux,
and I can use winscp in Linux.

But simple, graphical file synchronizing is where I have a need to
fulfill.  I have a folder on the Linux box and another folder on the
Windows box that I want to keep in sync, regardless of which of the
two machines I'm sitting at.  When I'm sitting at the Windows box, I
can synchronize these 2 folders using Unison for Windows, which works
well (thanks to the SSH server on the Linux box).

Now, when I'm sitting at my Linux box and want to synchronize in the
other direction, things get ugly.  The best technique I can come up
with for now is to "smbmount" the windows directory, then use
unison-gtk, syncronizing the Linux folder with the Windows folder,
which is now mounted somewhere.  eg:

mount -t smbfs -o "username=some_user,password=some_pwd"
//windows_box/some_share /mnt/windows

...but this technique has two drawbacks.  It is not graphical, and it
requires root access (or some sudo configuring, which is also not
terribly convenient)

If there were only some KDE equivalent to unison-gtk, then I would be
able to specify my destimation folder to sync to using an URI like
above (eg. "smb://windows_box/some_share"), taking advantage of the
KDE kioslaves.

I feel this would be the most straightforward solution, and would
basically make it possible to synchronize from a Linux box to a
Windows box (for the average user who wants a graphical tool for
everything and doesn't want to write little scripts).

So in conclusion, I echo Theo's question, asking if there is such a thing.

Cheers,
Dustin Harriman

My Blog: http://ca.blog.360.yahoo.com/dustinharriman
RSS Feed: http://ca.blog.360.yahoo.com/rss-RkGSoVA1brWtXrVH9Gr5CzgVujwwGg--?cq=1

"Freedom is not the capacity to do whatever we please; freedom is the
capacity to make intelligent choices"  -Francis Moore Lappé