Re: No audio support

Hi All.

I had a similar problem and couldn't find a fix, until i looked into AUMIX and found that the volume, speaker and line1 were turned down to 0

So i just turned them up to about 75%, saved the settings then rebooted and presto i had sound.

Markus Petermann wrote:
Hello,

I have a problem with the audio output of KDE 3.5.3 (the KDE version
currently used by Debian Etch Testing): There is absolutely no sound output.

After the first launch of KDE I got a pop-up with the error message:

"Sound server information message:
Error while initializing sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device."

I started "kcontrol / Sound / Sound System / Hardware" and activated the
ALSA sound system. I installed the remaining alsa packages and ran
alsaconf. Then I used alsamixer and unmuted all channels (both actions
as root). I also used alsamixer as normal user and of cause kmix - no
effect.

Due to Bug report #362282 I replaced libasound2 with version 1.0.11-7 -
no effect.

After this I used the module-assistent to build the ALSA module drivers,
installed them and run alsaconf and alsamixer again - no effect.

I have two remarks concerning this issue:
1. The ALSA sound system works with Debian Sarge.
2. I tested two other distributions (Kubuntu 6.06 and SusSE 10.1) in the
last weeks: I had no sound on both distributions. On Ubuntu 6.06
(using GNOME) audio is available (but I have no idea about the used
sound system).

Here is a dump of the loaded sound modules:
saturn:~$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_intel8x0m          15372  0
snd_intel8x0           29436  3
snd_ac97_codec         82784  2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0
snd_ac97_bus            2048  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss            43520  0
snd_mixer_oss          15584  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                74408  5
snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              20292  2 snd_pcm
snd                    46080  11
snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               8672  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          9800  3 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

I am looking forward for some help.

Greeting,
Markus

lsmod | grep snd looks similar to mine, so have a look at AUMIX, it may help you?

Hope i could be helpful.

Cheers and take care,
Vic.