aspell slow loading in kwrite/kate

For about a month running Debian unstable, aspell takes several seconds
to load when called from kwrite or kate.  After a dist-upgrade on my Deb
testing installation last night, I'm now seeing the same thing there.

Checked bug reports for kate, kdelibs, and done extensive web searches,
but no luck.  Deleting ~/.kde/share/config/kwriterc temporarily fixes the
problem for the next invocation of aspell, but when kwrite/kate is reopened
in a later session, the slowness loading aspell is back again.

Thanks for any help - D