Re: Setting KMail's To Do flag

On Friday 17 March 2006 17:09, Larry Garfield wrote:
> On Friday 17 March 2006 06:46, Matej Cepl wrote:
> > Larry Garfield wrote:
> > > On a related note, what exactly is sieve?  I've seen Debian packages
> > > for it, and KMail mentions it, but I haven't found any decent
> > > documentation on how exactly to USE it.  It *appears* to be a
> > > client-controlled, server-implemented set of filters.  If I'm right,
> > > then I really would like to know how to use it. :-)  If not, then what
> > > exactly is it?
> >
> > It is what you think it is, but the biggest problem is that it has to be
> > supported by the IMAP server (which is not that common) and even more
> > important it has to be set available by the server administrator (I have
> > never met IMAP server which would allow me to use SIEVE).
>
> Hm.  Well, I run my own IMAP server so I can set up whatever I need.  I
> just haven't found any decent info on doing so.  Do you know where I could
> find any?  (Preferably that doesn't start with "first change these thousand
> settings and compile.")

Now I got the chance to read my emails from this folder and I can comment on
this matter.

I did some research a while ago when I found out about SIEVE and concluded
that the best choice on the server to be used would be cyrus-imapd. After
using this setup for quite a while I can confirm that I'm happy with my setup
(postfix/cyrus-imapd with sieve filters on a debian sarge). You don't have to
recompile anything, just read the docs and configure the server, it's not
that difficult.

Another nice thing about using server-side filtering would be that you'll have
the possibility to install IMP/HORDE and have your emails organized in the
same way in webmail as in your IMAP client. (If you choose to install HORDE
you'll have a nice web application to edit the filters, too)

Mihai