how to set a screen resolution

Hi!

With KDE (3.5 for me) I can adjust the screen and my desktop resolution like
800x600 or 1024x768. But this is not the same as with CTRL+ALT+Kp_add or
Kp_Subtract, because with this method, I must scroll with my mouse cursor
thru my desktop, and my screen stays at it's original resolution, and a
virtual resolution gets applied with that key combination. So how is KDE
doing this, and how can I do this without KDE (like with a command or
something)?

Thanks!

Daniel

--