Re: 1024x768 resolution assistance

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Richard Wegner wrote:

Hi there,

I recently had Debian 3.1 unstable version on my system, but my X windows kept on going bad. I did some diagnostics and found out that my video card was one of those that it didn't really like that much. What I am wondering is for some suggestions for a video card that does work quite well with Debian 3.1 unstable with high resolutions. With the current one I have, it currently goes only 800x600 on my resolution no matter what I try and do.

Actually stating what you tried, instead of leaving it to our imaginations, would have been good. Have you looked in /var/log/Xorg... which will tell you if the higher resolutions you are after are failing or simply not being tried (a likely scenario, as pointed out in another message).

I had to revert to Mandrake 10.1 Community Edition for the time being till I can find a good enough video card that will work.

Something working with one flavour of "Linux" but not another is most likely a configuration issue.

Look up your monitor's specs, or print out the X configs used by Mandrake, then:

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

For a typical desktop box, it shouldn't be necessary to manually edit X's configs unless you are doing something unusual or want to support weird resolutions. Generally, manually tweaking a config file which debconf scripts also have their fingers into can be tricky - especially when running unstable because those are the kind of package UI issues which get worked out in unstable.

hth

- Bruce