Re: artsd sound recorder directly saving to wav?

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 02:54 am, Matej Cepl wrote:

> [...] Tried krec, but it is really weird
> to have effectively play each song twice, because export to wav apparently
> is not that faster then original recording. Then tried audacity, but it
> doesn't work with artsd running, and I wasn't able to make it work anyway
> with my ALSA drivers (does it work with ALSA at all?). Then in the sheer
> desperation I tried
>
> artsrec -r 48000 -b 16 -c 2 out.wav
>
> but I cannot make even artsplay play out.wav.
>[...]

 I'm running testing with the normal alsa modules for my soundcard, which uses
the snd_intel8x0 module; I don't usually run arts, but with or without it I
find Audacity works fine for recording. Not much comfort in that for you,
though!

 Make sure all the right things are on and up in Kmix:  master, pcm, line, and
capture ( just checking :) ). Your card may have more or fewer than these to
consider.

A few more details about your setup may help: Which card? Does other sound
work? Which sound modules do you have loaded? What settings are you using in
Control Center... > Sound system?

You may need a .asoundrc file (see alsaproject.org), but I doubt it.

There's a program called snd I'd like to suggest: it doesn't look fancy but
has a lot of features while still easy to use for basic things; and it seems
to work without any fiddling. (You also need snd-gtk-alsa for the GUI. ) It
records direct to wav. and seems to run whether arts is present or not.

HTH,

John