Re: Konsole root session ignores bash completion

Thursday, 12 January 2006 17:47, David Martínez Moreno wrote:
> El jueves, 12 de enero de 2006 05:11, Alex Nordstrom escribió:
> > For some reason, when starting a root shell in Konsole from the
> > Sessions menu, this setting is ignored. Other session types work as
> > expected, and if one issues su from the root session (effectively
> > starting a root shell within the root shell), things are fine too.
> >
> > Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> 	Me. I think that it is due that default konsole is not launched with
> -l flag, that is, to act like a login shell, loading startup scripts
> and so on. Your "su -" is working because you specify specifically
> with '-' that you want to read such files.

It doesn't sound like an entirely unlikely theory, and if that's the
case, it would be related to #279347.

However, I didn't actually su with the "-" option, and the bash manual
states that interactive shells, even if they are not login shells, will
still execute the bashrc file unless the --norc option is also given.
Also note that in a non-root Konsole session, everything works.

The bash manual further says it won't read the bashrc file if it is
invoked as sh. printenv shows that SHELL=/bin/bash regardless of how
it's invoked, so how can I tell the difference? If one executes a
non-existant command, the prompt suggests the shell is "-su", where it
would normally say "bash" or "sh":

# nonexistant
-su: nonexistant: command not found

In a normal Konsole session, this prompt says "bash", as expected.

Any ideas?

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/