Re: KDE dies after login with KDM

Am Freitag, 24. November 2006 20:30 schrieb Florian Kulzer:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 18:56:20 +0100, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> [...]
>
> > > What do you mean by "dying immediately"? After you log in, do you see
> >
> > Screen becomes black.
> >
> > > the KDE splash screen or does KDM crash before that? What happens after
> >
> > No, I don't see the KDE splash screen.
> >
> > > it dies, are you returned to the graphical log-in screen or are you
> > > dropped to a terminal? Is ~/.xsession-errors completely empty after
> > > this
> >
> > KDM restarts
> >
> > > happens or not?
> >
> > IIRC, it is not empty, but no errors. I need to doublecheck with the next
> > login.
>
> Your first mail reminded me of a problem with KDM which I had once. Your
> answers to my questions confirm that your symptoms are almost exactly
> the same. In my case I could eventually identify a bug of a script in
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d as the cause of the problem.
>
> It is very easy to check which scripts in Xsession.d are run before KDM
> hangs. You just have to install the package "inotify-tools" then you can
> monitor access to these files. I would propose to do it like this:
>
> Go to a terminal with CTRL + ALT + F1. Log in and tell inotify to watch
> all the files in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/. It should look like this:
>
>   $ inotifywatch /etc/X11/Xsession.d/*
>   Establishing watches...
>   Finished establishing watches, now collecting statistics.
>
> Leave inotifywatch running and return to the KDM log-in screen with CTRL
> + ALT + F7. Log in and let KDM crash and restart. Return to the terminal
> with CTRL + ALT + F1 and stop inotifywatch by pressing CTRL + C. You
> will get a list of all the watched files that were accessed in the
> meantime. On my computer I see this for a successful log-in with KDM:
>
> total  access  close_nowrite  open  filename
> 3      1       1              1
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/20x11-common_process-args 3      1       1
> 1     /etc/X11/Xsession.d/20xfree86-common_process-args 3      1       1
>           1     /etc/X11/Xsession.d/30x11-common_xresources 3      1
> 1              1     /etc/X11/Xsession.d/30xfree86-common_xresources 3
> 1       1              1
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/40xfree86-common_user-xsession 3      1       1
>      1     /etc/X11/Xsession.d/50x11-common_determine-startup 3      1
>  1              1
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/50xfree86-common_determine-startup 3      1       1
>          1     /etc/X11/Xsession.d/55gnome-session_gnomerc 3      1       1
>              1     /etc/X11/Xsession.d/60imwheel_start-imwheel 3      1
>   1              1     /etc/X11/Xsession.d/75dbus_dbus-launch 3      1
>  1              1     /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80im-switch 3      1       1
>         1     /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent 3      1       1
> 1     /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90im-switch 3      1       1              1
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90x11-common_ssh-agent 3      1       1              1
>    /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90xfree86-common_ssh-agent 3      1       1
> [...]

Florian,

many thanks for the detailed instructions.

I double checked .xsession-errors. I deleted the file and logged in via KDM.
The file is not created again, i.e. previously I saw the file of the last
Xsession run.

It is strange that I updated the etch system in the morning, rebooted it in
the afternoon and in the evening. In the afternoon, everything was fine, in
evening the problem showed up, really curious to find out what is going on.

Unfortunately, I am away from my computer now for two weeks, but I will check,
when I am back (I won't forget it, kdm will remind me ;-) Except if there is
a new kdm release which fixes the issue...

Thanks,
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch