Re: problems starting kde

I assume you're using unstable...

George Adamides:
> Hello
> I am following the instructions from a paper to install and start KDE. I
> managed to install it and now I am trying to make it work...When I type
> startkde I get the following message
>
> :~# startkde
>
> xsetroot:  unable to open display ''
> xset:  unable to open display ""
> xsetroot:  unable to open display ''
> DCOPServer : slotShutdown() -> waiting for clients to disconnect.
> DCOPServer : slotExit() -> exit.
> startkde: Starting up...
> startkde: Running kpersonalizer...
> DCOP: register 'anonymous-19155' -> number of clients is now 1
> DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-19155'
> kwin: cannot connect to X server
> kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server
> kpersonalizer: cannot connect to X server

Calling startkde in that way will fail. Normally, startx will call it for
you.

> So then it says somewhere that if I get the above message I should type
startx and run startkde from .xinitrc, .xsession or .Xclients. First of
all I cannot find any of those files. Why is that?

You don't need them ;-). Normally.

> And whats more when I run startx I get the following:
> :~# startx
>
> Using authority file /root/.Xauthority
> Writing authority file /root/.Xauthority
> Using authority file /root/.Xauthority
> Writing authority file /root/.Xauthority
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file
> or directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2: exec:
> /usr/bin/X11/X: cannot execute: No such file or directory giving up.
> xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X
> server xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
>

> Can someone please explain to me what am I doing wrong and how to fix
> this problem?

That looks like your X11 installation is flawed. Have you installed
xserver-org (that's the package that hould pull all the stuff necessary for
X11)?

Dietz