Re: Need Help With Installing X11 and KDE

El Lunes, 14 de Agosto de 2006 01:33, Steve Grace escribió:
> My apologies for the cross-post; I don't know which list is most
> appropriate for this topic.

AFAIK, there is not any specific list for X11 users, so this list is OK for
me.

> For my original installation I chose the "desktop" task package
> installation (I don't remember the exact name) which installed GNOME and
> KDE. I then booted into GNOME with no problems (other than low screen
> resolution, 800x600). However, I wanted KDE, not GNOME , and spent several
> hours trying to disable GNOME before I gave up and reinstalled the base OS
> again with no additional packages.

If I recall correctly, by default, gdm has priority over kdm if both are
installed, so I suppose gdm was run, and from there you logged at gnome. You
can change this with "dpkg-reconfigure kdm". There you should be able to
choose kdm (or at least it was that way some time ago; it's been a lot of
time that I don't have gdm installed). Or you can edit
manually "/etc/X11/default-display-manager".

> I then installed and configured kde-core, kdm, and x-windows-system-core (I
> want to start with a minimal environment and add to it). KDE didn't start
> automatically so (assuming that I missed something) I installed the entire
> kde package, which didn't solve the problem. I saw a note somewhere about
> starting X11 with "xstart"; I tried that and got an error (listed in
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log):

I suggest installing kde-core and xorg. x-window-system-core used to be the
metapackage recommended for installing X, but now it says the following:

transitional package for Debian etch
This package is provided to smooth upgrades from Debian 3.1 ("sarge") to
Debian
etch. It may be safely removed from your system. It depends on the xorg
package
which is the new metapackage for installing the X Window System in Debian.

Well this shouldn't be the problem, though, because this package already
depends on xorg.

>      Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
>
> It seems that X11 doesn't like my mouse (it's a PS/2 trackball). The mouse
> worked in Gnome yesterday (although it was auto-detected; not specifically
> selected) and works with Knoppix (using the same device: /dev/input/mice).
>
> I uninstalled all KDE packages and re-installed x-windows-system-core but
> the problem persists.
>
> My assumption is that I need to be able to see X11 processes running and/or
> be able to run "xstart" manually before proceeding with installing KDE
> again. Here are my questions:
>
> 1. How can I get X11 to work and verify that it's running correctly?
>
> 2. Once X11 is working, is there any reason why I can't install just
> kde-core and kdm to start with (as opposed to the full kde package)?

If you install kde-core, kdm is pulled, and if you install kdm, is started by
default at boot. It should be unable to start X, that's the reason you don't
see it. Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/kdm.log.

It might be possible that the error you are seeing is not the one that
prevents X from starting. Only errors starting with "EE" are critical.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://barnacity.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net