Re: Re: File Association Help-Application/octet Stream

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 18:39:54 -0500, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

[...]

> Strange, Moz Help About Plugins list all the installed plugin and their > file names > which I located and copied to my $HOME/.mozilla/plugins/ dir. The one for > VLC multimedia plugin, libvlcplugin.so, is not in the dir nor can it be > found using locate. Although I installed and reinstalled the > mozilla-plugin-vlc can't find its *.so file. Something else I should be > doing?

Let's check some things and compare:

$ dpkg -l mozilla-plugin-vlc
||/ Name                 Version              Description
+++-====================-====================-========================================================
ii  mozilla-plugin-vlc   0.8.5.debian-2       multimedia plugin for web browsers based on VLC

Same hee.

lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ dpkg -l mozilla-plugin-vlc
||/ Name               Version            Description
+++-==================-==================-====================================================
ii  mozilla-plugin-vlc 0.8.5.debian-2     multimedia plugin for web browsers based on VLC
lchata@DELLXPST450:~$

$ dpkg -L mozilla-plugin-vlc | grep '\.so$'
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libvlcplugin.so

lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ dpkg -L mozilla-plugin-vlc | grep '\.so$'
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
lchata@DELLXPST450:~$

$ file /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped

lchata@DELLXPST450:~$ file /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libvlcplugin.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped
lchata@DELLXPST450:~$

I never copied anything into my ~/.mozilla/plugins/ directory. If I type
"about:plugins" into mozilla's location bar, I get:

I just do "help->about plugins" and get a few screen fulls of plugins listed
including the one you show.  Also, Google VLC multimedia plugin 1.0. I get the
same info using the address/search bar. Could send you( or the list) a snapshot of my list, if its helpful. Another note, I have 2 none .deb realplayers and one helix player installed and thinking they may be conflicting with deb packages, but can't find how to uninstall them. They are all .bin files. Or did I say this already?

VLC multimedia plugin
File name: libvlcplugin.so
version 0.8.5 Janus

with about 20 supported audio and video MIME types listed.

Maybe you have a configuration problem in your ~/.mozilla directory.
The easiest way to check this is to create a new test user, log in as
that user and start mozilla.

OK.  I'll try that and have done it once before.

> -I have no reference to a codecs file anywhere in $HOME. Looked for one
> with locate but
> couldn't find anything. Should there be one? Did find /usr/lib/win32
> with list of codecs and
> long links.
> -just reinstalled w32codecs after doing a policy check and found a newer
>version candidate.

I think that the files in /usr/lib/win32 should be enough. (I use them
with the Xine media player.)

> Haven't done an upgrade or dist-upgrade for a while( week or two) > because of critical/grave
> bugs in kde and other wanted software.  Should I?

I did a full upgrade yesterday and did not notice any problems except
for a minor annoyance with the KDE wallet manager (it has to be killed
and restarted after you log in to work properly). I recommend using
apt-listbugs, but you have to keep in mind that it often lists bugs
which are fixed already ("<done>") in the new version that you are about
to install.

Ok. I'll do a full upgrade or should I do a dist-upgrade(?).

> -Just completed a reboot and restart of kde. Tried out Yahoo News media > player again with > same results. The Yayoo player pops up, all the uris load followed by > done. The fast forward > and rewind buttons are active(blue) and the pause button is greyed out. > The player screen is > a greyed out blank screen. Clicking the active buttons loads all the > uris and finishes with done
> but nothing plays.

OK, I had a look there and I can't play the videos either. It seems to
be based on flash, so maybe you need the flashplayer plugin version 8
which is not yet available for Linux as far as I know. If you want to
test your flash plugin, go to www.youtube.com; you should be able to
play the videos on that site.

I guess that means I've been beating my head against the wall trying to fix mplayer and the problem was flash player. Strange though, the first
time I tried to run the vidoes a couple of months back, the error was
this video requires "application/x-mplayer2" which I added to kde file
associations and the message went away. That led me to believe it was an
mplayer or mplayerplug-in issue. I visited the youtube site and was able
to play all the vidoes I selected, some of which were very interesting, Ha. Ha.
Yahoo or the news sites must have changed there video formats because I know I was able to play all the news videos in the past with mplayerplug-in as the start up said so. Curious, how did you determine that the videos on Yahoo
required flash player?
And thanks for your help. At least, now I know what the problem is and just have
to wait for a flashplayer upgrade to show up. BTW, the last time I checked Yahoo's
player requirements it didn't mention anything about flashplayer, just windows media
player, but that was some time ago.

--
Regards,
          Florian

Thanks again, for your help. I guess this is solved except for the application/octet stream
message I keep getting.

Leonard Chatagnier

**