Koffice brokenness on sarge

I did apt-get install koffice

I rather expected some entries in the kde menu for the apps but no, so tried:

$ kword
koffice (lib kofficecore): ERROR: Couldn't find the native MimeType in kword's desktop file. Check yourinstallation !
$ kivio
koffice (lib kofficecore): ERROR: Couldn't find the native MimeType in kivio's desktop file. Check yourinstallation !

Googled the error message and got some clue that kbuildsycoca might help so:

$ kbuildsycoca
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: Property 'X-KDE-Weight' is defined multiple times (KOfficeFilter) kio (KService*): WARNING: The desktop entry file Utilities/kfilereplacepart.desktop has Type=Service but is located under "apps" instead of "services" kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : Utilities/kfilereplacepart.desktop kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/themus-theme-applier.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-gnome-theme-installed'
... lots more "undefined mimetype/servicetype ..."

Now when I try kivio or kword I get a blank window with the title bar and window control buttons. These work but when I try to close the window I get

"Window with title "KWord" is not responding. This window belongs to application kword (PID=30813, hostname=localhost). Do you wish to terminate this application? (All unsaved data in this application will be lost.)"

Also, after leaving kword in the state where it was asking me if I wanted to terminate the app (but hadn't actually done so) it hung my desktop. I was able to Ctrl-Alt-F1 to a tty and kill kword and Ctrl-Alt-F7 back to the gui but for a few minutes the taskbar showed no menu icon or clock or various other things, though it _was_ showing the kword process icons on the taskbar, and clicking other processes on the taskbar produced no response. Eventually it came back to life and seems to be working OK again.

Any suggestions (beside uninstalling koffice :-)
(Actually that's not a showstopper: I only installed it to try it, I normally use OOo so I can live without koffice.)

--
John Stumbles