Re: KDE on AMD64

Am Mittwoch, 31. Mai 2006 16:02 schrieb Curt Howland :

> On Wednesday 31 May 2006 06:07, Pierre Habouzit was heard to say:
> >   oh right, I missed the 'etch' thing. though, I can't stress
> > enough that testing isn't a good distro to live with as a user.
> > prefer stable + backports or unstable, but etch raises a lot of
> > problems that can cripple your life.
>
> In early 1995 when I first installed Debian (the "community developed"
> did it for me), I tried Testing because I thought it sounded good.
> Sure enough, stuff was broken and I got confused.
>
> The advice I was given then is just as valid today: Start with Stable,
> go to Unstable once comfortable with tweaking the system once in a
> while.
>
> Letting a stone-cold newbie know about /usr/share/doc/* is also a very
> good idea.
Thanks all for reply!

On my 32bit Systems I am using sid since a couple of years with best
experiences.
OK, It migth be, that for one or 2 weeks something doesn't work, but that's OK
for me. Since the transition of X11R7 started, I downgraded to testing
because of the known problems.
But I was confused to read "everywhere" (google), that testing on AMD64 should
already work and to find, that no mirror provides the packages.

Thanks to all again. I think, the 32bit version works fine for now and I wait,
until amd64 for testing is available.

Kind Regards
Matthias